No announcement yet.

2021-22 Coaches Shows with Isaac Brown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wasn’t sure where to put this post, but I absolutely hate having a “10 deep” roster. I think being “10 deep“ is at best highly overrated, and at worst seriously detrimental. I would much prefer four superstar guys getting 30 minutes who are studs and 3 or four solid roll players. I think going 10 deep leads to discontent. Guys are pressing when they’re on the floor because they know their time is limited. You’re going to have more transfer, more turnover, and within a game, less cohesiveness. I think there’s a reason why we looked more fluid, at ease, and energetic last night. It wasn’t just because they were playing a lower level team. They all knew they were going to get a lot of playing time.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock-it-to-me View Post
      Wasn’t sure where to put this post, but I absolutely hate having a “10 deep” roster. I think being “10 deep“ is at best highly overrated, and at worst seriously detrimental. I would much prefer four superstar guys getting 30 minutes who are studs and 3 or four solid roll players. I think going 10 deep leads to discontent. Guys are pressing when they’re on the floor because they know their time is limited. You’re going to have more transfer, more turnover, and within a game, less cohesiveness. I think there’s a reason why we looked more fluid, at ease, and energetic last night. It wasn’t just because they were playing a lower level team. They all knew they were going to get a lot of playing time.
      Different times, but one of our best teams in history (82-83) really only went eight deep barring foul trouble, blowout or injury.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock-it-to-me View Post
        Wasn’t sure where to put this post, but I absolutely hate having a “10 deep” roster. I think being “10 deep“ is at best highly overrated, and at worst seriously detrimental. I would much prefer four superstar guys getting 30 minutes who are studs and 3 or four solid roll players. I think going 10 deep leads to discontent. Guys are pressing when they’re on the floor because they know their time is limited. You’re going to have more transfer, more turnover, and within a game, less cohesiveness. I think there’s a reason why we looked more fluid, at ease, and energetic last night. It wasn’t just because they were playing a lower level team. They all knew they were going to get a lot of playing time.
        Very underrated post by the way.

Comment

• Nice theory, but we don't have anyone that's truly good enough or deserving to be playing 30+ minutes a game and leading us to victory. We have guys playing that much simply because we don't have the depth, or won't utilize it. Playing 30+ doesn't do a lot of good if they aren't those superstar players you speak of.

Also, the horrid opponent had pretty much everything to do with what we saw last night. Even if we had 13 available we should have and probably would have blown them out. That was easily the worst team on our schedule this year and it showed.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

Fine if that is your goal. If you want to succeed at your job in today’s environment at a school that doesn’t cheat, tell me how you do that and how your pride, health and mental state wouldn’t suffer in the process.
            Nick Nolte at the beginning of Blue Chips, basically.
            "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
              Nice theory, but we don't have anyone that's truly good enough or deserving to be playing 30+ minutes a game and leading us to victory. We have guys playing that much simply because we don't have the depth, or won't utilize it. Playing 30+ doesn't do a lot of good if they aren't those superstar players you speak of.

Also, the horrid opponent had pretty much everything to do with what we saw last night. Even if we had 13 available we should have and probably would have blown them out. That was easily the worst team on our schedule this year and it showed.
              I think he was speaking hypothetically, although even if you don't have clear cut superstars I think it's best to not have 13 available players all the time (and maybe 10). If you have 11-13 guys who all suit up and think they have the ability to play, they'll become discontent at one point or another. Basically, if you're not suiting up every night, you're either not eligible because of transfer rules or you're redshirting. Think it helps with team chemistry overall.
              "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

I think he was speaking hypothetically, although even if you don't have clear cut superstars I think it's best to not have 13 available players all the time (and maybe 10). If you have 11-13 guys who all suit up and think they have the ability to play, they'll become discontent at one point or another. Basically, if you're not suiting up every night, you're either not eligible because of transfer rules or you're redshirting. Think it helps with team chemistry overall.
                But you need more available in case of injury or foul problems. If the guys at the end are suited and not playing and want to transfer, than so be it. If they're not suited up that really isn't going to change their desire to transfer anyway, with the exception of guys who voluntarily redshirt for whatever reason.

If we played a halfway decent team with only 8 available players that game becomes a lot different. Especially as Mo and Monzy would probably be more likely to pick up fouls against better opponents and they still had some foul issues last night. We had something like 8 available players the first year of 3G and I believe one of those was a walk-on. It got ugly, not just because of lack of talent.

My view is 8 is the bare minimum you want in regular rotation. Developing depth is important, especially in college where you only get guys for a couple of years and transferring players is up. Some of our best teams went 9 or 10 deep and we could rely on player 11 and maybe 12 to contribute enough if needed. Personally, I like a rotation of 9 or 10 with flexibility as needed and keeping guys fresher. Especially late in the season and come tournament time when you have some quicker turnarounds. It protects against fatigue and injury, especially those smaller ones that don't get the recovery time when you're playing on short rest.

I acknowledge there are many different theories and beliefs when it comes to such things. But I've never been a fan of playing guys 30+ on a regular basis. Even if it was Ron and Fred, I prefer giving them a little more rest during games when possible. There are going to be games where certain guys have to play more, but on a regular basis I think it gets a little risky for some of the concerns I've already mentioned and more.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• I want a 10-man rotation in January. I want an 8-man rotation in March. I don't think those are opposing views, and I don't think it holds true just for college basketball. Being healthy and rested for the post-season and having a core lineup that can step up in postseason play is a recipe for success at any level.

The place this is most obvious is the NBA due to its much higher workload of an 82 game season. Look at any championship roster, and it most likely will play a core group of 10-11 before the playoffs, and 8-9 during the playoffs. There are also plenty of examples of teams with deep rosters doing in the regular season but not being able to step it up in the postseason without a superstar, and teams that had superstars but couldn't keep them healthy.

Comment

• Shocker Men's Basketball Coach's Show
                    » DEC 27th

NO SHOW TONIGHT

Comment

• Shocker Men's Basketball Coach's Show Tonight
                      » JAN. 3, 6-7 p.m.

Radio: 97.5 FM and 1240 KFH
                      https://www.audacy.com/kfh

Comment

• Not really interested in what he has to say. Perhaps I'll pay attention when he actually does what he say. To me, he sounds rehearsed and without much passion. I'll listen when the product on the floor is less nauseating.

Comment

• anything worth repeating?

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                            anything worth repeating?
                            Guess not. I'm sure a lot can probably quote what was said without even listening.

Comment

• Would love to hear tonight if there is any new recruiting news…knowing that IB can’t exactly give many details. Sure would be nice to hear something. Are they traveling, zoom meetings only…what is our approach right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by BAShocker View Post
                                what is our approach right now.
                                Begging recruits to ignore what they're seeing and give them a chance. He promises to be nice and not push them to improve their game in any way that they're not comfortable with.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X